Oxfordcrest.png
Oxfordcrest“. Con licenza Copyrighted tramite Wikipedia.

From Fabriano to Oxford: The Blessed Augustine Becchetti John, and Blessed Peter

The Becchetti family was part of the nobility of Fabriano. For some historians, this family was descended from that of St. Thomas Becket (London 1118-Canterbury 1170) .In particular, the Jesuit John Morris (1826-1893), English writer and historian in his book “The Life and martyrdom of Saint Thomas Becket, 1118- 1170 London 1885 “corroborates this. This is the same as supported by the Spanish historian Thomas Herrera in his writings (Alphabetum Augustinianum, Madrid 1644). The Peter B. Becchetti (1340 – 1421) since adolescence took the religious habit, as we remember Professor Romualdo Sassi of Fabriano. After graduating in Perugia, he dedicated himself to preaching with passion and success. On 19 January 1388 he was appointed Visitor at the Augustinian convent of Rimini. In 1389 he was reader in the convent of Tolentino. Two years later, is that of Venice. In 1393 he undertook a pilgrimage to Jerusalem to visit the holy places. Later, repeating the pilgrimage with his cousin John B. Becchetti. The two Blessed have built in the convent of St. Augustine of Fabriano a chapel dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre. On B. Peter there is information only thirty years later, had the title of Master. The February 20, 1421 date on which has written a letter by Father General Bartholomew from Venice, after there has been no news. Probably he died in the same year. The John B. Becchetti (1350-1420) was famous in almost all of Italy, and as a man of culture and as a man of faith. Was an eminent theologian and philosopher, his biographers called him Aristotelian and Platonic, since for him the study of the works of Aristotle and Paltone had no secrets. The Jesuit Girolamo Tiraboschi (Bergamo 1731 – Modena in 1794, historian) spoke of a book by John Becchetti, in which he tried to reconcile the philosophy of Plato with the Holy Scriptures. In fact, in the book “Venetian-Hungarian relations at the time of the Renaissance” Tibor Klaniczay (Budapest-1923 Budapest 1992 Hungarian scholar) of 1975, the author said that the beginning of the fifteenth century between. John Becchetti had composed a treatise on the “Concordia Platonis cum S. Scriptura”. During the meeting, the General Chapter of the Order held May 24, 1385 in Strigonia (Esztergom is a city in Hungary). He was granted the first place “lectoriae sententiarum” in the University of Oxford. With this appointment, the first year was only “opponere”, the second “Sententias legere”. After three years, the Blessed John has the second place among the “baccellieri”, after Brother John Karvil had become master, in 1390 it became the same. After two years teaching at the University of Oxford, returns in Fabriano in the Augustinian convent. At that time, his main task was dedicated to teaching, which he exercised in other cities, such as Perugia and Bologna perhaps. Professor Sassi writes that the loss of the registers of the order, at the moment, does not allow us to know, as it is carried out its activities Professor. In 1420 he covered the convent of Fabriano as Rector. After this date, there has been no news of him, according to the Sassi, probably died shortly after his relative, between. Peter Becchetti. The Blessed Becchetti time came several miracles, but the most telling was eloquently described by both the Jesuit John Morris, in his book, both by Don Giuseppe Bernacconi (in a pamphlet published for the fifth centenary of the death of Blessed Becchetti of April 1926). When they were buried, in the midst of their corpses had placed a sprig of thorns. When it was re-opened the burial, the thorns had produced some beautiful white flowers. As reported by Don Giuseppe Bernacconi, this miracle had the following meaning: “God wanted to show with this certain sign that the thorns of mortification and penance austerissime, practiced by those two faithful throughout the course of their lives, had sprouted flowers their eternal bliss. “By decree of the Sacred Congregation of Rites of August 28, 1853 they were registered in the catalog of the blessed and has decreed the cult.

Paolo Carnevali

Licenza Creative Commons Quest’ opera è distribuita con licenza Creative Commons Attribuzione – Non commerciale – Condividi allo stesso modo 3.0 Unported.

Annunci